December 20, 2013
Dear US Airways Flight Attendants,
We are moving forward with our new American flying partners through an agreement with the Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA). This agreement has been reviewed and unanimously approved by your directly-elected Local Council Presidents. Through your support, we have protected our contract, our voice and our vote at the New American.
For 65 years we have been proud members of the Association of Flight Attendants. Through our union we negotiated industry-leading contracts time and again. Our history was made by little airlines that could – and did. US Airways Flight Attendants have spent entire careers building unity. We were a part of shaping the world’s largest Flight Attendant union and we made a difference through our union’s total focus on the issues that matter to Flight Attendants. That focus on your interests is what led us to this agreement with APFA, another Flight Attendant-only union with a proud history as well. With your continued support, we will achieve our industry-leading contract once again as full partners with our pre-merger American Flight Attendant counterparts. And as we make the most out of our collective bargaining rights, with your approval we will also become members of APFA.
It is an honor to fly with you, to serve as your representative and to share these new opportunities with you. We continue to commit every effort to provide you with all of the information necessary to make informed decisions about our future. We hope this news provides you with the opportunity for a peaceful holiday and dreams of what will come through our unity – 24,000 Strong.
MEC President US Airways
Association of Flight Attendants
AFA has secured agreements with APFA for seniority, bargaining and representation at the New American.
Key Points of Agreement:
- Flight Attendant seniority is protected.
- APFA will link arms with AFA to use the leverage US Airways Flight Attendants bring to the table and negotiate a new expedited bargaining process with management, including the US Airways contract and improvements for all Flight Attendants.
- This agreement is contingent upon management at the New American agreeing to a bargaining process for a single agreement with AFA and APFA.
- Once the bargaining process is fixed, US Airways Flight Attendants will vote on bargaining and a transition to APFA membership.
- We are full partners in this merger with a voice on our future and the right to vote on bargaining and representation. (more…)